Monday, June 24, 2013

Making the Right Choice

I've wondered and questioned about our (my) decision to "go paleo."  It is a bit extreme, I understand that.  There are lots of reasons I choose this path for our family--Luke's allergies being at the top of the list, but there are other, more private, reasons that I don't want haunting anyone, so I'll keep them private. 

Luke has a viral thing called molluscum contagiousum.  It's been contained to his elbow and hasn't really bothered him at all.  We were encouraged to just let it run its course and it would go away in a few months to a year.  I came across some information about using essential oils to help rid him of the virus.  So, last week, I started using the oils to treat the spots on his elbow.  I was paying particularly close attention to his skin and I noticed that his eczema was flaring up in a major way. 

So I began thinking about our diet last week and looking at the labels on the boxes of food I'd brought into the house.

Problem #1: I brought boxes of stuff into the house. 
--Gluten-free snack bars (granola style).  They're processed.
--I felt guilty so I bought a box of "wholeseom" cereal.  It said flax seed on the box.  I didn't even look to see if contained wheat.  Then I did check.  And it does contain wheat.  And Luke had eaten it about 3 days in a row. 

Problem #2: I was lazy with our diet last week and allowed some wheat/grain products in my meal planning.

Problem #3: Despite specific meal planning, we still ate out a few times.
--Hello, Chick-fil-A.  'Nuff said.

So, now I have proof that I need to be hyper-diligent about Luke's diet.  His poor body just can't tolerate processed foods or wheat/grain products.  We're now on square negative 3 because his eczema looks worse than it did when we started this.  His molluscum has spread all over his body, too, which I hope is the virus expelling itself from his system as I'm using the oils. 

I know I made the right choice for our family.  As I've shared some of our story recently, I've had lots of "suggestions" about different grain products we can eat.  I'd rather avoid them all and know I'm keeping foods as pure as possible for my kids.  I'm not saying that all grain products are bad or nutritionally void--I would just rather keep my kids' systems clean and clear so I can continue to identify allergens for them and keep them healthy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment