Saturday, June 8, 2013

Semi-fluffy

You've got to know when to hold 'em...know when to fold 'em. 

If I've learned ANYTHING in the past two weeks (concerning food), it's that my poor kids are in absolute shock and I need to S.L.O.W. down for them.  Some things haven't bothered them at all. 

The switch from regular 2% milk to organic whole milk to raw milk didn't phase them one bit.  They haven't mentioned a difference in taste, texture, color, anything.  Whew...snuck that one by them. 

They are really missing their traditional breakfast of sugary cereal or toaster struedels or microwave pancakes.  Yeah, I know, I know....mom of the year award for that one.  But hey...I'm a working mom that has to get the kids out of the door in a reasonable amount of time.  Luke transitioned more quickly to our new go-to breakfast food: larabars.  Meryt is slowly following along.  More like dragging her heels, but she's not kicking and screaming, so I'm proclaiming victory over breakfast. 

Another major change has been how often I'm cooking at home.  Granted, it's the summer and I'm out of school, which gives me immeasureable more time to be domestic.  (Hello, empty laundry baskets!!)  We aren't running to our favorite restaurants (yes, plural) for lunch or dinner.  This is nice...and stressful.  I'm having to figure out how to prepare meals that offer some variety, but includes things the kids will eat.

Herein lies the problem.   My kids love processed foods.  That's all they've eaten for their entire short little lives and I'm scaring the appetite out of them with all of these new foods that I insist they are going to love.  I realize that I'm in this for the long haul and while I'm enjoying the new foods, they are young and they didn't ask to jump on this crazy train with me.  I might need to use what they love to introduce something new. 

Enter Semi-fluffy dinner tonight.  I wanted to try out some grass fed beef that I bought last week at the Market.  The cattle rancher told me that I might find the taste a little different from traditional ground beef.  Hint #1 that I'd better either smother this with ketchup or bribe the children to eat it.  I opted for the bribe approach and decided to make tacos for them.  I bought the usual shredded cheese and taco shells.  I even ran by our favorite mexican restaurant and picked up some of their cheese dip. 

HELLO SUCCESS!  The beef was AWESOME.  I loved it, the kids loved it.  I bought a pound of ground beef and it didn't cook away to a greasy mess.  We have enough meat left over for tacos after church tomorrow.  The kids didn't have a clue that they were eating different meat than usual.  Next time, I can switch up some cheese or add some veggies (gasp) to the meat mixture.   

There will be other semi-fluffy meals to come as we learn how to navigate this new life style...as we learn how to budget for it and how to enjoy new foods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment